Criminon accomplishes its purpose through the use of L. Ron Hubbard’s booklet, The Way to Happiness. This common-sense moral code is a non-religious guide for sensible behavior.
Through a program of study and drills, Criminon rehabilitates the individual’s lost sense of responsibility for himself, his family, society and our environment.
Criminon believes that people are not born criminals. Through lack of education and belief, trust and respect in oneself, through lack of guides, man turns to crime. To remedy this, Mr. Hubbard set out 21 fundamental teachings by which one can chart his path. These are:
- Take Care of Yourself
- Be Temperate
- Don’t Be Promiscuous
- Love and Help Children
- Honor and Help Your Parents
- Set a Good Example
- Seek to Live with the Truth
- Do Not Murder
- Don’t Do Anything Illegal
- Support a Government Designed and Run for All the People
- Do Not Harm a Person of Good Will
- Safeguard and Improve Your Environment
- Do Not Steal
- Be Worthy of Trust
- Fulfill Your Obligations
- Be Industrious
- Be Competent
- Respect the Religious Beliefs of Others
- Try Not to Do Things to Others That You Would Not Like Them to Do to You
- Try to Treat Others as You Would Want Them to Treat You
- Flourish and Prosper
In the process of applying these principles to their lives, students come to understand how it was that their past behavior and associations led to harm. They regain confidence to act successfully to improve their own life and the lives of those around them.
The Criminon students come to realize that they are capable of making correct choices, and they regain their own self-respect.